The weather conditions that we face are generally good with some type of mixture of sun and clouds. For the most part this type of weather can produce either hot, warm or cold conditions, but are usually not dangerous to people if proper precautions are taken. However, the weather conditions can also change quite rapidly and drastically. Weather is very changeable and in a matter of hours it can change from sunshine to severe storms that could produce heavy rain, high winds and could be a dangerous situation for those in the path of he storm.
There are many different types of weather conditions that can cause problems for people. Blizzards and tornadoes are types of storms that can occur and cause potential damage. While there are a number of other dangerous weather situations that can pop up two of the most severe are hurricanes and tropical storms. These are storms that can cause property damage, flooding and if people are not prepared could cause a loss of life.
Both hurricanes and tropical storms originate in tropical areas and are differentiated by severity. Both have heavy winds and rain. However, hurricanes are generally stronger storms with more rain and stronger wind. Regardless of the severity, they both are dangerous and people need to prepare in the event of being in the path of a strong storm.
In the event of hearing that a hurricane or tropical storm is coming to your area, there are a few things to be prepared in order to remain safe. If you find yourself in the path of a major storm the first thing is to make sure you get inside a secure building. Also, securing any doors and windows in advance of the storm may prevent any injury.
Below are some additional information and resources about how to stay safe in the event of having a hurricane or tropical storm hit our area. Please feel free to review this information and share with others that can use it:
- National Hurricane Center - Government information on hurricanes, including tracking them and preparing for its arrival.
- Hurricane Information - Informative page that provides information on hurricanes.
- Hurricane Facts - In this page from Southern Illinois University you will be presented with various facts about hurricanes.
- Hurricane Facts for Kids - This kid friendly page offers information that kids can use to learn about hurricanes.
- What is a Hurricane? - Helpful page from the Weather Channel which provides a definition of a hurricane.
- Definition of a Hurricane - This informative page lists the characteristics of a hurricane.
- Tropical Storms - In this informative page from the University of Illinois you will learn about tropical storms.
- Tropical Storm Information - Helpful web page which looks at tropical storms.
- Tropical Cyclone Facts - This web page gives readers useful information on tropical storms and cyclones.
- Storm FAQs - Informative page from NOAA which looks at the differences between hurricanes, cyclones and tropical storms.
- What is the Difference Between a Hurricane and Tropical Storm? - Useful news article that looks at what the differences are between a hurricane and a tropical storm.
- The Stages of Development of a Hurricane - This web page lists the stages of development of a storm from a depression to a hurricane.
- Hurricane Preparedness - This page from the Red Cross provides guidance on preparing for a hurricane.
- Hurricane Supplies - Informative page from the CDC which lists supplies that people should have before and after hurricanes.
- Hurricane Preparedness Checklist - Useful publication which outlines items that are needed during a hurricane.
- Hurricane and Storm Survival Kit - This web page contains information on how to survive a major storm.
- Safety and Preparedness Tips - In this helpful page you will get tips and information on being safe during a storm.
- What to do Before a Storm Strikes - A useful web page which offers tips for consumers on what they should do before a major storm hits.
- How to Survive a Hurricane - This page provides information and tips on how to be safe in a hurricane.
- Hurricane Safety - Rules and tips to follow so that you can be safe in a hurricane.
- Hurricane Safety Tips - This useful page lists a number of useful tips for hurricane safety.
- Surviving Cyclones - Well written web page that discusses how people can survive a cyclone or tropical storm.
- Safety Tips - Informative page from the White House that offers useful suggestions on how to be safe during dangerous storms.
- Tropical Cyclone Public Safety - Useful page which provides consumers with information and safety tips.
- Hurricane Resources - NASA web page which contains information and resources on hurricanes.
- Disaster Safety - Web page that contains a number of useful resources on disaster safety.
- Hurricane Resource Page - Resourceful page with links on hurricane safety.
- Storm Tracking Resource Center - This page for boaters provides information on tracking storms.
- Tropical Information - Government page which tracks tropical storms and provides information.
- Tropical Storms - This University of Miami page contains information on tropical storms.